The query letter is one of the most important tools freelance writers have at their disposal. Because freelance writers are not full-time employees of a particular newspaper, they must utilize a query letter to: 1) convince the editor that their idea is a good one; 2) it will benefit the newspaper itself; and 3) they are capable of carrying it out.
Each query letter will vary based on the newspaper and proposed article itself, but you can spot five essential components that almost every successful newspaper query letter will have.
1. An Eye-Grabbing Introduction
2. A Concise Summary of Your Article
3. The Purpose of Your Article
4. Your Qualifications, Experience, and Anything Else That Shows Why You Are Capable
5. A Closing Paragraph That Leaves the Editor Interested
I welcome your comments, suggestions, and tips. Please use the comment form below.